Friday, August 31, 2012

Nonna's Chocolate Cookies

My grandmother was from Sicily.  I loved going to visit her when I was young.  My Nonna and Nonnu mostly spoke Italian.  I couldn't understand what they were saying but I loved hearing it. 



When I would visit, my Nonna always had these chocolate cookies.  I love these things and they are very easy to make.  Here are the ingredients:

1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (yes, black pepper)
1/8 teaspoon salt
Enough flour for cookie consistency - about 4 cups

Glaze

1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar

 
 
Mix the first 9 ingredients together and add the flour slowly.  Stop adding flour when you can roll a cookie in your hand without it sticking (about 4-4 1/2 cups). 
 
 

 
 

Don't say anything........I know, it looks gross, but trust me!

Cook the cookies for 15 minutes on 350 degrees.  Remove the cookies and let them cool.  After they have cooled, dip them in the glaze.  If your balls are the size in the picture, cook them for 15 minutes.  If you have small balls, cook them for 13 minutes (yes, I am laughing as I type this.......).


 

These cookies are super easy and very good!  They are really chewy, and not too sweet.  Go a little old school Italian and see if you like it!

Nonna and Nonnu
 
Mangia!  This recipe is featured on Simple Living and Eating
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!