Sunday, September 23, 2012

Aunt Hazel's Pecan Pie

Pin It
My Aunt Hazel was a great lady!  She was always smiling and always had a kind word for you.  I remember visiting her on her farm when I was growing up.  She lived in Oregon and had a dairy farm.  It was a beautiful place!

My Nana, My Grannie and Aunt Hazel!  3 Fiesty Ladies!

Aunt Hazel was a hard worker and knew how to have fun! When Jonah was born, Aunt Hazel and Nana drove out here to visit us.  Here she is holding little Jonah Bologna (1999).




Every woman has a recipe she is "famous" for.  Here is Aunt Hazel's recipe for her famous pecan pie!

Ingredients:

Pie Crust - see recipe below
1 cup dark Karo syrup
3 eggs beaten
1 cup, less 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups pecans



To begin, I made a basic pie crust.  Her recipe didn't come with a pie crust recipe so I made my own.  In my food processor I added 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup cold butter (cut into small chunks).  I pulsed those ingredients together until it resembled a crumb mixture.  Then, I added 3 tablespoons ice cold water.  Then, I mixed it together until it formed into a dough ball.  I put it in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake.

Form the pie crust into the bottom of a pie pan.  Press the dough up the edges and around the bottom of the pan.

To make the pie, beat the butter, sugar and eggs together.  Slowly add the Karo syrup and vanilla. 
Pour the pie mixture into the pie pan. Pour the pecans on top. 


Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

When you take the pie out of the oven, it will be dark brown, but still fluid.  As the pie cools, it will gel together - about 2 hours.



Aunt Hazel with my Grandpeepaw - on her farm in Oregon.
Look!  Uncle Johnny and Dad are in the background!
Dig out those old family recipes and share some memories!  Enjoy!

This recipe is shared with:



Pamela's Heavenly Treats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!