Monday, September 10, 2012

Cassatta

Pin It
Ohhhh, just hearing this word makes me drool!  I LOVED when I would visit my Nonna and she would have made this sweet treat!

My Nonna and her sister Mary

Here are the ingredients for this delicious treat:

7 cups whole milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn starch
5 cinnamon sticks
1 pound cake or angel food cake
1 large Hershey's bar, shaved
1/2 jar Marashino cherries, halved
Almond extract

Heat 6 cups of the milk and sugar to the boiling point, stirring occasionally, making sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.

Combine the corn starch with the remaining milk.  Stir the corn starch mixture into the milk.  Stir continously, making sure it doesn't stick.  Cook until the mixture thickens and it turns glossy - 5-10 minutes.



Remove the cream from the hot pan and let it cool completely.

To assemble the cake:

Put a layer of cake down.  Brush the cake with the almond extract.  Pour 1/2 of the cream over the cake and sprinkle 1/3 of the chocolate.  Put another layer of cake down and repeat. 



Put drained marishino cherries and more chocolate on the top.


Refrigerate until ready to serve


As my Nonna would say, "Mangia!"  This recipe is featured on This Gal Cooks! and Totally Tasty Tuesdays!

Far Left:  Aunt Malutza (married to Jake Cunetto)
Aunt Mary Fantuzzo (my great aunt)
Rosalia Cunetto (my great grandmother)
Nonna!
 

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!