Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cold Flu Syrup Made With Natural Herbs

Pin It
To start with, I will formally state that I am not a doctor and the information provided on this post is not meant to take the place of a doctor's advice. 

I have been suffering from extreme allergies for over a year now.  I've consulted an allergist and the only remaining course for me is allergy shots.  I do not want to do this!

Last month I did some research on natural remedies to help allergy sufferers.  In my research I discovered that elderberry has shown to be effective in reducing the severity of colds and flu.  I made an elderberry syrup, with local honey:  http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2012/08/elderberry-syrup-for-colds-and-flu.html.



This syrup has helped lessen the severity of my allergies, but not gotten rid of them.  So back to the books I went.

I my research I discovered that there are a few more natural remedies that help with allergies, cold and flu symptoms.  I decided to add some of these ingredients to the elderberry syrup I previously made.

The other ingredients I am adding include nettles and echinacea.

Nettles

Here is some information regarding the use of nettles in medicinal herbs:  http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_nettle.htm
         
Echinacea

Here is some information regarding the use of echinacea in medicinal herbs:  http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_echinacea.htm

Here are the ingredients I used for my syrup:

2 cups filtered or distilled water
2/3 cup dried elderberries
2 tablespoons dried nettles
2 tablespoons dried echinacea
1 small chunk of fresh ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 lemon
1 cup local, raw honey

Put the first 7 ingredients in a sauce pan.  Simmer for 2 hours, allowing the mixture to reduce by half.  Do not let all of the water evaporate - add some if needed.  When the mixture has reduced by half, take off the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.




Drain the mixture, using a fine mesh strainer and some cheesecloth.  Press the berries to extract as much juice as you can.  Discard the solids or use in your compost pile.

When the mixture has cooled, add 1 cup honey.  Stir vigorously.  Refrigerate - it should keep for 1-2 months.  If you want to add to the shelf life, add 1/4 cup brandy.




Again, this syrup is not meant to replace your doctor's advice.  I'll let you know if these additional ingredients eliminate the rest of my allergies.  Wish me luck!


The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!