Sunday, October 14, 2012

Applesauce!

Pin It
This past weekend my husband and I were fortunate enough to spend time with our grandchildren.  The weather was beautiful so we decided to go apple picking.  My son Jonah, who is 13, was thrilled.........SARCASM.

Uncle Jonah was really excited to ride with Jossalyn...........NOT!
 
 
 
I am embarrassed to tell you how many apples we bought!  Needless to say, I needed to do some cooking!

Jossalyn, my granddaughter, and I decided to try homemade applesauce.  It was super easy and it was a great opportunity to share my love of cooking with one of the many loves of my life!

Here are the ingredients:

8-10 apples - can use a variety
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)

The above recipe will make 1 quart jar and 1 pint jar.

To begin, we washed and peeled our apples.





Then we let the apples cook about 30 minutes.  I put a little water in the bottom of the pan to make sure the apples didn't burn or stick to the bottom.


When the apples were soft, I drained them and put them in my food processor.  I left a little of the skin on.  Once the apples were in the food processor, you couldn't tell.


After the apples were smooth, we added 1 tablespoon of cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar.  Before you add the sugar, taste the applesauce.  Some apples are sweet and some are tart.  You will need to adjust the amount of sugar you add, depending on how you like it.


Once the applesauce is the consistency you like, add it to a hot, sterilized mason jar.

Jossalyn is putting her applesauce in the jar we are sending home with her!
 
 
Once the jars are full, wipe the rims off and slide a knife or long piece of plastic (sold with canning supplies) down the sides of the jars.  This will help eliminate air pockets that have formed.  You will need to put the jars of applesauce in a hot water bath and boil for 20 minutes.
 
After you take the jars out, the lids will seal as they cool.  You know the jars have sealed when you hear the lid "pop" down.  Also, you will not be able to press down - there will be no give and take on the lid.
 
If the lid didn't seal, simple refrigerate that jar and use it first!
 
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!