Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pasta with Butter, Oil and Garlic

Pin It
My father, Anthony Maniaci, was one of a kind.  He passed away two weeks ago and I feel like my heart has a big hole in it.  He was so proud of his Sicilian heritage.  He always taught me Italian songs, and told me stories about how he grew up on "The Hill."  I feel so blessed that he was my father.  I love and miss him so much!

My father, with Tonette, mom and I - last Thanksgiving
 
 
One of dad's favorite things to eat was PASTA!  He could eat pasta every day and every meal.  His favorite pasta was with a simple oil, butter, garlic sauce.  He called it "Pasta Colei Lu Yu" (spelled differently I'm sure). 
 
Here are the ingredients:
 
Pasta - 1 pound
Olive Oil - 1/2 cup
Butter (salted) - 1/4 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves minced
Red Pepper Flakes - 1/2 teaspoon
Parsley - 2 teaspoons
Salt
Pepper
 
 
To begin, put the minced garlic and red pepper flakes into the olive oil.  Take a sauce pan and fill it with water.  Add a generous amount of salt to flavor the pasta as it cooks.  While you are waiting for the water to boil, take out the butter and let it come to room temperature.
 
 
Cook the pasta, drain and add back into the saucepan.  Immediately add your olive oil and butter.  Stir to coat the pasta.  Add the parsley and salt to taste.  Serve immediately.
 
 
I serve this pasta with breaded chicken, steak, or by itself!  It is very easy and quick to make.  My father loved this pasta! 
Dad and Jonah - Summer, 2012
 


Tonight I am having a pasta toast to my Daddio who I miss very much! My dad would light up every room he entered.  He was always smiling (well, unless my sister Karrie made his Italian temper come out - normally this would be an opportunity to jab at Tonette but I promised I would lay off for a while......)  If your father is still alive, hug him, kiss him and treasure every minute because life is too short.
 
I love you dad.....................

1 comment:

  1. I made this pasta as part of SRS this month. I love how easy and flavorful it is!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!