Sunday, December 9, 2012

Lemon Bars

Pin It

This recipe is listed on Marvelous Mondays
My sister Karrie is a great cook and we share an affinity for lemon!  Recently, we were able to share a few weeks together while she was here for our father's funeral.

Karrie, Me and Tonette - Thanksgiving, 2012
One of the great traits that my father had was his love for his family.  My sister Karrie personifies this in every part of her being.  Karrie has raised 4 beautiful children.  They are so lucky to have a mom like her.  Tonette, Laura, and I are so lucky to have a sister like her...........I miss her very much.  California is too far away.
Here are the ingredients for her lemon bars:
2 1/4 cups flour
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2/3 cup powdered sugar
4 eggs
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
In your food processor, add 2 cups flour, the powdered sugar and the butter.  Pulse until the mixture is crumbly.  Press that into a 9x13 pan that has been buttered.
Bake this shortbread crust on 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
While the crust is baking, start assembling the other ingredients.  I have a handy, dandy juicer which made getting fresh lemon juice extra easy!

In your mixer, add the eggs and sugar.  Mix until frothy.  Add the flour, lemon juice, zest, baking powder and salt. 
Pour over the shortbread crust and bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until set.
Cool on a wire rack.  When the bars are cool, dust with powdered sugar and cut into squares.

When Karrie is in town I love cooking together and sharing ideas for food.  She has a passion for cooking as well.  At this point, I must tell everyone that although Karrie is a great cook, I did beat her in our cooking challenge last summer............here is the proof:
Here Dad is pointing to the winner - MY peach crumble bars
Karrie lives life to the fullest - she reminds me of our father in that way.  I have learned many things from her and I consider myself lucky to have her in my life.
Mom and Karrie - Summer 2012


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like the one my Mom used to make every year at Christmas. I've pinned it so I can try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!