Sunday, March 3, 2013

Oatmeal Molasses Bread

Pin It

Oatmeal+Molasses=Great Bread!  (That is the teacher in me!)  I am always on the look out for a great recipe.  The problem with me is, I can't follow a recipe (most of the time).  I always tweak, add and just plain do my own thing.  That is how this recipe came about, but I must say, the results were worth it!

I had some left over whey in my refrigerator from when I made mozzarella cheese-check it out:

http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/02/mozzarella-cheese.html

I've read about what to do with whey.  Everything I've read says use it in your bread recipes, so I did!

Ingredients:

1 cup lukewarm water
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 cup oatmeal, plus 2 tablespoons to put on before baking
1 cup whey
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup molasses
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 cups flour
2 tablespoons melted butter

To begin, soak the oatmeal in the whey.  Let that sit for an hour or so.  When the oats are soft, you are ready to begin making the bread.

Put the water in your mixing bowl.  Combine the yeast and let that proof for 5 minutes.  This means you are activating the yeast.  You will know if your yeast is good if the water forms a little foam or bubbles. 

Put in the sugar, salt, oatmeal, whey, molasses, oil and about 3 cups of flour.  Make sure you have a dough hook on your mixer.  Start the mixer on speed 2.  Let the ingredients combine.  Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, until the dough forms into a ball on the dough hook.



Take the dough and put it in a lightly oiled bowl.  I set mine on the stove top, letting it warm.  Be sure to cover it with a towel.  That will help the dough remain fresh and not form a crust.

Let that rise for 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours.  It should double in size.  Punch the dough down and let it rise again, about 1 hour.  Punch it down again.

At this point you need to decide if you want one large loaf or two smaller loaves.  Prepare your loaf pan by spraying with PAM.  Put the dough in the pan and let it rise again - about 30 minutes.

Take a sharp knife and cut some slits into the top of the dough.  Brush some melted butter on the top of the loaves.  Sprinkle with oatmeal.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or so, or until the loaf is golden brown.







Enjoy!

This recipe is shared with:

Fabulous Fridays

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, I hopped over to answer your lovely comments and I found BREAD!! And not only any bread but Oatmeal Molasses Bread!! Pinning!!

    PS. Would love for you to cohost Let's Get Social Sunday:) Our next opening is April 14th. Please let me know if this will work for you and I will send you the information:) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. I love fresh bread. Thanks for sharing with us over at Real Housemoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know I love your blog and nominated you for a Liebster Award. Check out my blog A Handful of Everything for details!
    http://ahandfulofeverything.blogspot.com/2013/03/nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for the Liebster Award! That sounds like fun!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!